Pre-paid cards for reducing congestion in stations with the Zenius and Pebble 4
The challenge: responding to high demand for ticket printing in a short period of time
To respond to the considerable increase in passenger numbers over the last few years, and during holiday periods, China Railway wanted to create a low-cost train ticket printing system.
In partnership with the Bank of China and China Unionpay, a new company was created to develop the Expresspay card, a pre-paid card including payment features.
The solution: Zenius and Pebble 4, Evolis solutions for personalized card printing
After consultation with various providers, the Zenius and Pebble 4 card printers were chosen, as they met several requirements:
- Encoding that connects the magnetic strip and the contact or contactless chip;
- Speed of card printing;
- Easy integration and compatibility with different operating systems.
The Expresspay card was then created, containing personal information about the holders (name, photograph, ID card number) and compliant with China Railway requirements.
The result: pre-paid cards for passengers
The introduction of cards allowed railway staff to manage the rising number of passengers more effectively, particularly during holiday periods. This new card offers various benefits for the users as well as for China Railway:
- Super-fast printing of transport tickets;
- Professional print quality;
- The dual function of the card as a payment method for tickets and access control to pass through the station barriers.
- Reduced waiting time to obtain tickets
- A very practical and user-friendly card for all distribution channels (ticket offices, vending machines, and website).